The Doctorate School
The Doctorate School of Université Bretagne Loire oversees the university’s 11 interregional doctoral schools that have already awarded over 5,200 PhD degrees. Its missions are:
- Establishing common procedures
- Promoting the skills and expertise of PhD holders
- Creating and implementing coordinated training programmes
- Evaluating the available programmes for a continually improved offer
- Coordinating international projects and initiatives
- Developing a monitoring and management tool
- Monitoring graduates’ careers.
The Site Doctoral Centres
The Site Doctoral Centres are located throughout Brittany and the Pays de la Loire region, with centres in Angers, Brest, Le Mans, Lorient-Vannes, Nantes and Rennes. Their missions are:
- Providing cross-disciplinary training programmes
- Interregional and inter-site coordination
- Implementation coordination
- Training offer evaluations and evolutions
- Providing administrative support to the doctoral schools
- Organizing on-site inter-doctoral school events
The doctoral school
The doctoral school is responsible for:
- Defining and organizing disciplinary training programmes
- Recruiting PhD students
- Allocating PhD student funds
- Ensuring the quality of training and instruction
- Monitoring PhD students
- Organizing scientific and intellectual exchanges among PhD students
Institutions accredited by the doctoral school host PhD students within their structure and can award the doctoral degree.
The doctoral school’s accredited institutions
Associated institutions host PhD students within their structure, but cannot award the doctoral degree. PhD students can be attached to an associated institution, but they must also be registered at an accredited institution that will award their doctoral degree.
Each PhD student is attached to a laboratory, known as a “research unit”. This is where the PhD student will work during his/her thesis. The Thesis Supervisor (HDR) directing and overseeing the PhD student’s thesis work belongs to the same research unit.
The doctoral school’s research units